02 January 2011

Where I will be living and other details

I got my housing assignment one or two weeks ago.  I was honestly surprised by how excited it made me.  Of course an Austrian address means almost nothing to me, but having an apartment makes everything seem so real.  Until a few weeks ago, I could still foresee a dozen different changes that can stand in the way of my study abroad plan – I even really seriously considered changing my major completely (I mean, as opposed to, say, changing it from music business to music).  But today, I dropped all my home university courses for the spring semester, which means I better be going!

Okay, back to the housing announcement.  I don't know a whole lot about the neighborhood really.  I will be living in an apartment with three other IES students.  I Google-mapped it, so I know it is in Landstraße, the third district of Vienna.  I just know that is where the famous expressionist landmark Hundertwasserhaus is located.

This is what my travel itinerary and upcoming semester looks like:
11 January  Depart from Missoula at 7 am, layover at Seattle/Tacoma, then fly to Chicago O'Hare, and arrive in London at around 7 am on 12 January.  Then I will meet up with my uncle and his family for a little bit, and leave London the next morning (13 January).

13 January  Arrival
17 Jan – 4 Feb  German intensive program
5 – 13 February  Post intensive break
19 – 25 March  Midterms
16 – 25 April  Easter Break
13 – 20 May  Final Exams

Currently I am working on putting together some internship applications.  I want to apply for an intern position in Taipei too, so I have to write my résumé and an autobiography (I know, it sounds rather odd to me too, but it's typical in Taiwan for employers to ask for autobiographies – and head-shot photos – from job applicants, and I am trying to keep an open mind).  I have the least idea in the world on how to write these things, in Chinese!  Now, I can converse in Mandarin easily, probably even better than in English, but I can write and speak formally better in English.  I also got all my job search trainings/workshops in the States starting from high school, but I have never seen an autobiography sample until I Googled it just now.  I want to be a world traveler and a "global resident", so I have to be able to apply for jobs in different countries without a problem.  I have also had a little lesson on how to write a German résumé.  It is not all just about knowing the language.  I find a whole lot of cultural values embodied in a sample/ideal autobiography.  I found a piece of advice on the internet that says "強調優點但不炫耀" ("emphasize your merit but don't show off") – this is such a dangerous piece of advice!  It hardly tells you what to do.  I wonder about the boundary between modesty and arrogance in different cultures... the boundary can shift a lot from an American society to a Chinese one and I sort of learned it the hard way.

As I am filling out internship applications, I started thinking about getting an art minor instead of graduating early again.  But we'll see if it's worth it.

I am crossing off my to-do list and I scrambled and made up a summer plan, or a list of options.  Seeing people who I haven't seen in a long time and being asked "where are you going to be this summer?" suddenly make me feel the need to come up with a plan, at least a very very rough one.  So here is my list of options:

1) Be a bum (my top choice, needless to say)
2) Summer research, if I can get a grant
3) Make improving my German or French as an excuse and linger in Europe, if I have the budget
4) Library, archival, curatorial, or conservation internship, or something of that sort
5) Summer job, probably in Tacoma
6) Summer class if I can afford it

The problem is, even though I say they are my options, they really are not.  It all depends on whether I have the money, whether I land a job or an internship, and such and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment